Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wow! I am a Minister!

I am a wild~n~crazy gal!

And as I posted in my 'About Me'....
a professional 'dabbler' lol

So I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that I am a Minister.

I'm sure if your reading this blog...its because you are computer savvy...
and you know how easy it is to get lost in
  ::insert dramatic music here::
  the world of   'internet'.

That's what happened to me..


It was  late...and dark ...on that night of  April 8 . . . 2009.

I was surfing aimlessly, lost in that huge world of internet..
when something caught my eye!
I don't remember what it was that I was looking for originally...or what I was doing..
but I came across the ULC site. (Universal Life Church.)

It said you could become an Ordained Minister.

Hmmmmm......
I guess I got a wild hair and decided to apply.

It was there, it was easy....it was free!  
I probably did it for fun and the 'shock' factor  for my friends.
(They will tell you...I do that sort of thing!)

I'm actually kind of leery of giving my information out on line.
But I went for it. . yup.
I gave them my name and address.
Holy cow! It was out there! 
Of course..I also ordered a couple of 'items' that I had to pay for..
Intro to ministry pack and an 'official' card...Ooohhhhh!

There you have it...
I am now officially ordained and legally able to . . .
Officiate Weddings, Perform Baptisms & Conduct Funeral Services!

Crazy! I know!

So...now what??
I shared with my friends...and we all had a good laugh.
Melodie was a Minister?! No way!

I had my fun...got it out of my system.
 The 'excitement' wore off and I went back to my 'boring' life . . .
But it was always there...in the back of my mind...I was a Minister.

I did have people suggest I do weddings,
But I really hate getting up in front of crowds and talking,
and my voice doesn't exactly 'carry' out there.

So nothing came of it...
Until....

*-*-*

I have a friend who works at the county and she found out I was an Ordained Minister
 & told me how much money I could make doing 'jail' weddings.
Ummm...no thanks lol
I love money....especially lots of money for short, easy work....
But that wasn't my cup of tea baby!

Of course...that thought remained in my head.
And since I'm like Curious George...
I cruised the 'internet' for information on 'jail weddings'.

That's how I found out about a program offered through the county.

Notary Public's could take a class and basically become an 'extension'
of the county and re-sell Confidential Marriage Licenses.

Well...if I was going to do that...I may as well try my hand at weddings too.
I heard there was big money in the 'one stop wedding shop' business lol

No cold feet for me!
I jumped in and took the class.
8 hours and $300 later...I was  now 1 of 10 people in all of 
Riverside County legally able to re-sell Confidential licenses.
Well..I better get the word out!!

So the hunt for 'business names' began.
I looked, I hunted, I racked my brain!
I asked my friends...and asked them again.
(I love my friends!!)

And now, yours truly, had a business name..

 'Shot-Gunn Weddings'

I also asked for help with a logo...or saying...or something fun to go with the name.

My friend Laurie came up with this one...
Shot-Gunn Weddings...when its a matter of Wife or Death.
Love it! :)
(Did I mention how I love my friends?) 

There you have it..how Melodie became a Minister
& how Shot-Gunn Weddings came to life. 








3 comments:

  1. I love it! between your curiosity, and your friends, I'm actually impressed you haven't gotten yourself into more of a mess.... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewwwww you talked about me in your blog!!!! How special am I?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabrina - my friend 'could' get me into a lot of trouble. I've been lucky enough to keep myself out of it! lol

    Froggy - No one has to know! lol I could totally put your last name in there...or your 'blog' name..hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete