Sunday, September 18, 2011

Friends

                                                               What are friends? 


They are usually people you have things in common with. They can make you smile, laugh, or even cry. They KNOW if you are OK just by looking at you, or asking one simple question 'are you OK?' and they will make you talk and offer their shoulder for you to cry on.


Friends come into our lives...and sometimes they drift off in different directions. There are different 'kinds' of friends...from childhood to adult. Some even manage to have friends that start in childhood and go into adult hood. Us girls have our 'girlfriends' for our most intimate talks....and then we have our 'guy' friends. Couples have 'couples' friends. A friend will talk and share their lives with you..and lend your their ears so you can share yours with them.

One little word, or even gesture,  can send the other friend into laughter...becuase they know exactly what it means.

But what is the difference between a friend and an acquaintance?


True....someone you might know will be there if the worst kind of disaster hits...but what about the rest of the time? Do they call and say "Hi, whats up?" "Hey..wanna go (grab a bite to eat, shop, ??) with me?" "How's life?" Is it a one way street? Does someone call you but you never call them? Where is the line between friend and acquaintance? Personally...the older I get...the more I realize I have a LOT of acquaintances but not a lot of friends. It hurts sometimes...and it always makes me wonder...'What's wrong with me?' 

What are your thoughts? What do you call a friend and what do you call an acquaintance?

6 comments:

  1. Mel - I think that people who are fortunate enough to have had REAL friends in their lives realize that they have more acquaintances than friends. I don't think that means there is anything wrong with you, just that you have been fortunate enough to have some REAL friends in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally agree, having friends is a lot different that having acquaintances! I seem to have a great group of friends, but I also have a lot of acquaintances- and I think that its ok. I don't think anything is wrong with you, maybe just as you get older, we chose more wisely! ♥ I just wrote about friends on my blog, too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I break it up even farther!

    I have my good/best friends who have a key to my house, know pretty much everything about me, and my kids know that its okay to go with them at any time!

    I have friends that I talk to, hang out with but they do not know the intimate parts of my life (finances, history, and depending on trust ~ they may or may not meet my kids, etc)

    Then there is the acquaintances/club friends) these do not know where I live, we don't hang out, they don't meet my kids, etc.

    I am very picky about my info ~ as in who knows where I live and who meets my kids. If your not in the top two, you will not!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie - that may be the case. I have a dear friend that moved. We had many good times together. I miss her terribly!

    Donella - I know its ok to have the different groups...but seems like sometimes I have only acquaintances....maybe I need to stop being so picky haha

    Lonelle - You have friend and acquaintance sub categories! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell ya!! Hmmm......but you have met, hung out and terrorized my kids, so you are a good nut!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lonelle - Yes...and I've made them 'slave' for me too! haha When's the next beach trip ;)

    ReplyDelete